This is going up a bit late because I meant to post it before heading out last night but that didn't happen. At least my excuse is that I was at a Slow Food's party. My local Slow Food convivium has decided to have a supper club of sorts that will be eating together every two months. Last night was at a lovely apartment on Capitol Hill overlooking Lincoln Park. We had finger foods and drinks. I brought some of my homemade cranberry liqueur and a pomegranate avocado salsa while it wasn't local it is very seasonal and this is the only time of the year I get a chance to make it. The food was wonderful as one could expect of this kind of gathering.
For my local meal this week, I continued to work with what I had on hand and will have to make a concerted effort to pick up a few things this week since I used my last local onion and could really use some milk (which has always been a bit tricky for me to find). I made acorn squash stuffed with sweet Italian sausage, caramelized onions and cabbage. I served it with a green salad with pear and feta as I had some of all of these ingredients left over from my trip to the Dupont Market last week.
non local foods: salt, pepper, olive oil (Monrovia, CA), balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard
- cabbage: not sure of the name of the farm but I know it is in Charles County, MD (20 miles)
- acorn squash: Olin Fox Farms, Reedville, VA (81 miles)
- onion: Three Way Farm
- sweet Italian sausage: Smith Meadows Farm Berryville, VA (53 miles)
- mixed salad greens, Archor Nursery Galena, MD (74 miles)
- pear, Black Rock Orchard, Lineboro , MD (63 miles)
- feta cheese, Keswick Creamery, Newburg, PA (94 miles)
- honey, my mother's bees, Kents Store, VA (86 miles)