Every week Carole suggests a list of 10. This weeks suggestion is 10 things in your refrigerator, right now.
- A bottle of bubbly is always in the fridge. One never knows when they will need a little bubbly. To paraphrase Napoleon we deserve it in victory and need it in defeat. While I was known to procure a bottle of Andre's Pink in high school, or in college start out with Sunday brunch and decide I better keep with the theme and find myself at the pizza place on College St (or was it Church) eating pizza with bubbly (don't ask me why they had bubbly at the pizza place), I have to credit my step mother for my current attitude towards always keeping it chilled and on hand. I would never want to have this regret: My only regret is that I did not drink more Champagne.
Lord Maynard Keynes, on his deathbed
- Pittsburgh Seltzer Works Seltzer Yes, I pay good money for Pittsburgh tap water with bubbles. I love the nostalgia of the old fashioned bottles (I especially love when I get the colored glass ones). I love that it is simple and old fashioned and reuses the bottles rather than discarding or recycling them. And you can make some great drinks with simple syrup drink bases you make yourself (flavors like ginger, mint, lime, lemon, grapefruit, rhubarb, etc) or cherry flavored amaretto left over from a favorite cookie recipe (Cherry Amaretto Chocolate Chunk Cookies) or anywhere else you might use Seltzer
- Assorted beers including Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Guinness, and Long Trail Ale Now I realize that adult beverages figured in to two of the top three things in my fridge but this has more to do with the Southern idea of always being prepared for guests and these things are always in my fridge. I really only drink beer at home when someone is visiting and we aren't having dinner (or have made/ordered pizza but even then home made pizza usually gets wine).
- Cabot lightly sweetened whipped cream One of my weaknesses, when it comes to dessert is whipped cream. Anything is better with whipped cream!! I will often calm the dessert craving with some fruit and a little "whippy" (as my friend Patti refers to it). And while I would love to have the just whipped stuff all the time goodness knows that I don't need to be eating all that cream in one sitting. So I buy a high quality pressurized can with the advantage of storability and they usually use light cream meaning you save a few calories. There is usually an open can and a back up because you never want to run out of "whippy".
- eggs My mother keeps me supplied in these although occasionally, when I have been a bad daughter and havne't seen her recently enough I will get them from the farmer's market.
- Wild Nova Smoked Sockeye Salmon Yum!!
- Capers Everything is better with capers. I had some today in my Shrimp VeraCruz. I eat them in my tuna salad and they are a must with the Salmon mentioned above...
- Blue Ridge Dairy Ricotta I have been meaning to make eggplant rolotini for weeks and finally made it to the market that carries ricotta...now I just need a couple of hours cooking time.
- Sweet Fool toffee If you are in the area, you have to try out this confectionary. Their cookies are amazing. They sell at ACKC or you can order online. It is a good thing they are a bit pricey or I would eat more of them...
- Keswick Creamery feta cheese This Pennsylvania creamery is having some cash flow problems, there is a divorce involved and the kids aer working to raise money to buy their dad out of his share of the farm. So they have started a CSA, in addition to pick ups at the Farm Fresh Markets that they attend, they will also mail boxes of cheese. Look into it if you are a lover of cheese, they make some wonderful products.
I was gong to share some pictures of my new socks but it seems that I don't have the cable to my camera in my computer bag. I will have to track that down today or tomorrow and share them with you later.