Valentines is a strange holiday, completely commercial and odd, when I am seeing someone I usually opt to stay in and spend time together...it is one more amateur's night that I try to avoid. When you are newly dating, or long term married, it is difficult to balance. Do you do something? Do you do nothing? Is a card enough? How about a sweet email? And when you are single, it is one more holiday to remind you that our culture values couples over singles...a great time to love yourself. If you don't, who will?
- I have roses for Valentine's Day. They come to me from President Obama (don't tell Michelle). OK, well, they were left over after a fund raising event and an event planner friend didn't need four bowls of roses and I ended up with one. But the President paid for them, or his campaign did, or something. Oh quit getting caught up in the details. The President gave me roses,that is my story, and I am sticking to it.
- If you didn't happen to swing roses from the POTUS, then it is OK to buy yourself some flowers (but skip the roses as they are overpriced this time of year, get your favorite flowers instead).
- People come in and out of our lives for reasons. On this holiday centered around love, we often think of those we have loved. Sometimes you have to let go and give up on people. This is not because you have stopped caring but they have. Relationships take two involved people. Make sure that is still the case.
- Chocolate covered strawberries strike the right balance between healthy and decadent. Make some. If you don't feel up to the making, then buy them. The pleasure is well worth it even though they do seem overpriced before you bite into them.
- No moment in life is so awful or so wonderful that a bottle of bubbly fails to make it just a wee bit better. Open it, even if it is a Tuesday. And while you are at it, get out the crystal and good dishes, you are worth it.
- I am heading to a knitting retreat this weekend and I haven't even thought about what knitting I will be taking. I have two pairs of socks that are almost finished and wonder if I should take them or take new projects to save space in my luggage.
- Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!!